Ethos Community

A place to curate all great web based information, tools and resources on Instructional Design

http://www.scoop.it/t/instructional-design-portal

Views: 629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing this great resource (or should I say collation of resources?) Rustica - really valuable. The first thing that caught my eye was Bloom's Taxonomy According to Pirates of the Caribbean - fun and really informative!!

These resources were actually shared by Rochelle Duke, and I found them interesting reading.

• In Adult Learning Principles in eLearning, Judy Hext uses each of Malcolm Knowles's 6 principles for adult learning (helpfully illustrated in diagrammatic format) to structure the guide. In the six sections, Judy discusses key points, and highlights some of the situations you may face...and how you might respond. Highly recommended.

• Get to Know Your Learners (And Avoid These Pitfalls) - written from a business context, these 6 pitfalls and how to avoid them I felt were pretty insightful. I particularly liked the focus on knowing the learner as a way to inform the design of an eLearning course.

• The first resource is complemented nicely by the next one: Know Thy Learner: The Importance of Context in E-Learning Design, where Moises Sheinberg asserts that "Context may be the most important element that can help determine the success of an e-learning initiative", and provides some valuable guiding questions to help shape the data gathering and design process.

Thanks, Rochelle :)

This video, 14 Principles of Multimedia Learning, provides clear explanations, illustrated by examples, of Mayer's principles of multimedia learning.

Don Clark, in Design Methodologies Instructional, Thinking, Agile, System, or X Problem?, has created a quick selection table that features five popular design methodologies (Instructional System Design, Design Thinking, Agile Design, System Thinking, and X Problem). For each of them, Don provides definitions, visual models, primary values, key features, example, main steps/concepts, and further readings.

Don states that:

Going from left to right, the models generally are designed for solving semi-structured problems to increasingly ill-defined problems, however, the type of problem and the skills of the designer will generally depict which model might work best for a particular situation. In addition, choosing a primary methodology does not mean you cannot borrow or change processes with another model as you are in control of the design, rather than the methodology being in control—design is both art and science.

Richard Elliott shared this useful resource (.pdf) that goes through the writing of good, measurable learning outcomes. It includes examples of what does and does not constitute a learning outcome, as well as a list of action verbs, and an example of a grading rubric. It also offers a clear explanation of the difference between learning and program outcomes.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Hazel Owen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service