Ethos Community

Hello all
I'm heading off on leave in a few days.  I was going to be lazy and just post a question, but decided that Search was worth a visit - and it was.  There is a lot of interest in flipped classrooms at the moment as a way of helping students get a better grip on 'thinking' skills.  
I am moving to a new school within the same organization from September and have a 'younger' and possibly more 'dynamic' management structure
We are currently in a more traditional knowledge based and didactic environment.  Anyone else moving in rather than baby-steps towards a flipped environment? and what tech supports your move?

Thanks
Peter

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Peter, There are a number of questions I would like to ask you before I give any advice. Google apps for education supports flipping classes really well. I have flipped lessons, made my own videos and used others videos for the student activities. I have been out of the classroom for a couple of years now but still flip lessons for the teachers I am working with. If you want to talk more, send me a message.

A number of staff use google apps and dropbox although I have to say the "main" delivery platform is Edmodo.
I am not asking for everybody to make every lesson flipped.  We need to work with our co-teachers to introduce the ideas - the educational initiative here is about the international staff sharing pedagogy and "up-skilling" the national staff who are very knowledgeable teachers although using mainly didactic approaches (ex Soviet system).
We already use ppt, prezzi, videos, etc, but the context is what we have to work on.  I am a techy and can support in a number of areas- ppt with narration rather than a real speaker for instance, posting documents  etc
The question is where to focus and how to ensure student participation (suspect we have that one fairly well nailed down)  and what path have people followed in their own implementations

Just a few pointers.

• Jing, Snagit and Camtasia Studio are really effective tools in Screencasting.
  •  The teachers can make their own videos, to give instructions on what the students need to do, or to explain complex ideas so that the Rewind function is really useful. 
  • Make videos less than 10 minutes long.
  • Course completion requirements is how you ensure the students participate.  
  • Focus is on learning outcomes, not busy work.
  • Also get the students to make their own videos to explain concepts that need to be understood.They can share and critique each others videos. (Get them to collaborate on makeing videos.  They know more and learn easily about these things anyway.
  • Youtube is a great repository for the videos, so if you are using Google Apps that should be easy.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Hazel Owen.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service